Results of the ideological competition for the development of the concept of a monument to the heroic crew of the B-17G aircraft in Dziekanow Leśny
A one-stage ideological competition for the design of a sculptural work commemorating the heroic crew of a US Boeing B-17G aircraft has been settled.
The monument is to pay tribute to the crew shot down by German artillery on September 18, 1944, bringing aid to Warsaw insurgents. The site of the Maria Konopnicka Elementary School at 6 Akinsa Street in Dziekanow Leśny was designated as the location of the work. A plaque was unveiled there on September 18, 1991, commemorating the American crew under the command of Lt. Francis E. Akins.
The task facing the participants was to design a sculptural work (monument, statue, commemorative stone or obelisk) taking into account the site conditions and referring to the history of the aircraft.
The competition committee composed of: Dawid Pawel Dziaduś (expert, absent), Pawel Bohdziewicz (expert, absent), Karolina Zebrowska (Inspector of the Department of Promotion and Social Communication), Radoslaw Nowak (Head of the Department of Investments and Repairs) and Ania Bozyk (Inspector of the Department of Investments and Repairs) awarded one prize.
First place went to the proposal prepared by Gdak Studio office from Kielce.