Results of the competition for the development of an architectural and urban planning concept for the task "Construction of an exhibition and educational facility" on the grounds of the Treblinka Museum. German Nazi extermination and labor camp (1941-1944)
Association of Polish Architects, Treblinka Museumlocation
November 29 this year. The Treblinka Museum and the Association of Polish Architects settled a one-stage execution competition for the development of an architectural and urban planning concept for the task "Construction of an exhibition and educational facility" on the grounds of the Treblinka Museum. German Nazi extermination and labor camp (1941-1944).
The purpose of the competition was to obtain the best architectural , spatial, functional and utilitarian concept for the new exhibition facility.
The competition task was to design a facility with an area of about 1,800 square meters, with such functions as an exhibition hall, a multi-purpose hall, educational and workshop rooms, an ecumenical prayer space and an office and administrative section with an archive and library, as well as sanitary facilities and a storage area.
The Treblinka Museum's intention was that the facility planned for construction would be able to accommodate about 150,000 people per year. Also required was a project for the development of the land around the new facility, including the installation of parking lots and a treatment plant.
The submitted works were evaluated by a jury consisting of:
- Prof. Boleslaw Stelmach, director of the National Institute of Architecture and Urban Planning, SARP Warsaw - chairman
- Mariusz Błażewicz, SARP Częstochowa - referee,
- Tomasz Rosłonek - deputy director of the Department of Ownership Supervision and Investment of the Marshal's Office
- Dr. Tomasz Kranz - director of the State Museum at Majdanek
- Michael Schudrich - Chief Rabbi of Poland,
- Albert Stankowski - director of the Warsaw Ghetto Museum,
- Monika Krawczyk - director of the Jewish Historical Institute,
- Paweł Sawicki - member of the Board of Directors of the "Memory of Treblinka" Foundation,
- Henryk Kosieradzki - SARP Warsaw,
- Piotr Walkowiak - SARP Warsaw.
The function of secretary of the competition is performed by Marek Szeniawski - SARP Warsaw.
Of the 31 works submitted, the jury decided to award only two. The first prize in the amount of PLN 45 thousand and an invitation to negotiate a sole-source contract for the construction of a service based on the work was awarded to Bujnowski Architekci office. The second prize of PLN 25 thousand was awarded to the studio Grupa 5 Architekci.
We will publish the justification for the awards after receiving information from SARP.