deadline for submitting works14.04.2023
National competition for graduates of architecture faculties for the best pro-environmental diploma project
organizer: Faculty of Architecture, Warsaw University of Technology | investor: WSC
The Faculty of Architecture at the Warsaw University of Technology has announced the first edition of a nationwide competition for the best pro-environmental diploma project. The competition's partners are: SARP Warsaw Branch and the Sustainable Architecture Circle.
"Air and water pollution, increasing waste, limited resources and progressive climate change—awareness of these phenomena, which are largely a consequence of the way we shape our built environment, should determine the work of architects today. Shaping sustainable and climate-responsible architecture is a relatively new issue, introduced relatively recently into the already complex architectural and urban design process. At the same time, environmentally and climatically responsible architecture can be represented by a wide variety of realizations of a very different nature. The search for the best solutions is still going on and is also taking very interesting forms in the graduation theses of architecture students across the country. This type of design activity is particularly important—today's diploma students are, after all, the designers of tomorrow."—reads the competition website.
The goals of the competition are:
- to identify and reward the best diploma theses defended in the past (2022) year at architecture faculties in Poland,
- to promote and emphasize the importance of responsible design of the built environment in the context of adverse climate change and resource conservation while maintaining high architectural and urban design qualities of the proposed solutions,
- To promote building materials and technologies with a low carbon footprint and energy-efficient construction,
- dissemination of the principles of implementation of circular economy in architecture,
- seeking innovative design solutions that realize the goals of responsible shaping of the built environment,
- promotion of pro-environmental design ideas.
terms and conditions
The competition is intended for graduates of Polish universities on courses preparing for the profession of architecture, who have defended their diploma theses in 2022.
Thecompetition is held in two categories—engineering theses and master's theses.
"The dream and ambition of the organizers is to draw attention to and emphasize the importance of responsible design of the built environment in the context of the climate crisis and resource conservation while maintaining the highest architectural and urban design qualities of the proposed solutions among both male and female students, academic staff and the entire community of Polish architects."—reads further on the competition website.
The condition for participation in the competition is to provide via e-mail to email@example.com the application documents, which are:
- boards of the diploma project in legible form, in electronic form as pdf files with a resolution of no less than 200 dpi. The maximum size of the entire e-mail application should not exceed (due to the maximum size of
allowable attachments) 45 MB. It is mandatory to send the charts as an email attachment,
- descriptive part of the thesis in pdf format,
- participation card.
The competition works will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- attractiveness and high level of the proposed architectural and urban planning solutions,
- accuracy of the selection of pro-environmental solutions and adequacy of the idea to the challenges of adverse climate change and the assumptions of climate neutrality,
- innovation and originality of design ideas,
- clarity of message and quality of presentation.
The total pool of prizes in the competition is PLN 20,000 gross. The following prizes will be awarded in each category:
- 1st Prize—PLN 5 thousand,
- II Prize—PLN 3 thousand,
- Third Prize—PLN 2 thousand.
- submission (sending) of application documents—until April 14, 2023, 4:00 pm.
- announcement of the list of winners and laureates of the competition and presentation of awards—by May 20, 2023.
The evaluation of the submitted theses will be carried out by the Competition Jury composed of:
- Ph.D. Krzysztof Koszewski — dean of the Faculty of Architecture, Warsaw University of Technology, chairman of the court,
- Ph.D. Aleksander Asanowicz — dean of the Faculty of Architecture, Bialystok University of Technology,
- Ph.D. Klaudiusz Fross — dean of the WA of the Silesian University of Technology,
- Prof. Barbara Gronostajska — dean of the WA of Wrocław University of Technology,
- Ph.D. Magdalena Kozień-Woźniak — dean of the WA of Cracow University of Technology,
- Prof. Lucyna Nyka — dean of the WA of Gdansk University of Technology,
- Ph.D. Ewa Pruszewicz-Sipińska — dean of the WA of Poznan University of Technology,
- Piotr Jurkiewicz—vice president of OW SARP for Climate Crisis Architecture, OW SARP Sustainable Architecture Circle,
- Ph.D. Dariusz Śmiechowski — OW SARP Sustainable Architecture Circle,
- Maciej Szymanik — representative of the prize funder WSC,
- Ph.D. Magdalena Grochulska-Salak — WAPW,
- Ph.D. Anna Nowak — WAPW,
- Ph.D. Mateusz Płoszaj-Mazurek — WAPW,
- Ph.D. Kinga Zinowiec-Cieplik — WAPW.
Ph.D. Anna Tofiluk of WAPW serves as secretary of the competition.
Detailed information, downloadable materials and an entry form can be found on the competition website.